Marriage is such a new and exciting time in your life! Not only do you have a new ring, a new spouse, and a new family, but some of us have a new name as well! Many of us spend so much time wedding planning, booking a venue, dress fittings, coordinating Wedding Photography in Washington DC, etc.. Often, when it comes to changing our name, we forget all about it. The question always comes up…“What in the world do I need to do now?” No need to worry. We have you covered! Here are two options for changing your name after your big day.
Changing Your Legal Name After Marriage
Option A: DIY – This is a “do it yourself” option that requires many steps. But it’s definitely doable with enough patience. If you are getting married and want to know how to change your name the traditional way, this is the option for you!
- Get certified copies of your marriage certificate.
- Change your name at the Social Security Administration office to get a new Social Security card that reflects your new name.
- Change your name at your local Department of Motor Vehicles office to get a new driver’s license.
- Change your name on your bank accounts to keep your identity intact.
- Change your name on your passport for easier travels. (If you have one)
- Change your name and other relevant information at work.
- Change your name (and address if applicable) with the United State Postal Service so you don’t miss your mail.
- Notify other places (subscriptions, mailing lists, etc.) you need to change your name.
Option B: Hire a company (like HitchSwitch) to do for you – If Option A looks a little overwhelming to you, there are companies out there that will complete the steps above for you. HitchSwitch is an affordable option (starting at $29) that will do everything you need in just three simple steps.
If you are interested in learning more about HitchSwitch, and are interested in viewing their packages, visit their website here!
It is my goal as a documentarian of Wedding Photography in Washington DC to make each step of the marriage process as simple as possible for my clients!